April 25, 2019
Dear Baldwin Families,
Thank you to everyone who attended our meeting last night. I appreciate you taking the time to join us and sharing your thoughts and concerns.
I want to address some of the concerns that were raised and how the district and I plan to move forward. Please know that some of these actions are out of an abundance of caution and to give our community a sense of security based on the feedback from the meeting. In addition, we are revisiting best practices that are already implemented on our campus.
1. We will conduct a review and assessment of all safety protocols with teachers and staff.
2. There will be a greater police presence/patrol on campus during arrival and dismissal.
3. Police conducted a sweep of Baldwin to ensure that the physical environment was in order and secure.
4. A coping skills/personal safety lesson will be conducted by a team of counselors in each homeroom class beginning Monday, April 29, 2019.
5. I have scheduled and will facilitate age-appropriate meetings with families to help support parents who may wish to discuss grief, safety and other feelings associated with the current situation. Below are the dates and times for these meetings that will be held in the library:
· April 29, 2019: 4:30 - 5:30 p.m. Parent Meeting for grade 4/5 students
· April 30, 2019: 4:00 - 4:30 p.m. Parent Meeting for grade 2/3 students
· April 30, 2019: 4:45 - 5:15 p.m. Parent Meeting for grade PK, K, 1 students
6. I have scheduled a principal’s coffee with representatives from the Center for Child Protection as an additional opportunity for parents to receive ideas for supporting their child. This coffee will be on May 10, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. in the library.
7. Interviews will continue to be conducted with a committee that includes teachers, administrators, and parent(s). References will continue to be checked by administration and reported to Human Capital. We are looking into new options for providing greater vetting and background enforcement of current and future staff.
I appreciate the many questions submitted in writing last night. We are working to provide responses through an FAQ document and will share that with you as soon as it is completed.
Attached to this letter you will find parent resources related to student safety and protection. We hope you find these helpful as you talk with your children.
Thank you again for your time, and please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have further questions or feedback.
Principal, Baldwin Elementary